Let say you want to advertise something, persuade someone or amuse people, give details about an intricate system or explain a process. In short you want to convey a message to someone or to a group of people. Well, how do you do it? You could benefit from verbal communication of course. You could tell people one by one or broadcast by radio or television. On the other hand, if you use visual medium in the least-if you type a letter; create a business logo; make a poster; an album cover or a magazine ad or even make a computer printout-you are using a kind of visual communication known as graphic design.
There would be no graphic design if there are no graphic designers. But what do graphic designers do? Here’s the scope of their job. They craft visual concepts, using their hand or by using computer software; to inform, to communicate ideas, to entertain or to lure would be costumers of a certain product. They help making an organization known to people by choosing images, suitable colors or color combinations, or logo designs that signify a certain idea to be used in advertising and promotions alike.
Well, graphic designing is a bit difficult yet interesting job. However, not just any person who works in the graphic design industry not just anybody could be qualified as a graphic designer. He or she is someone who creates design by piecing together different shapes, art and typography and images to make a piece of their own.
There are many renowned graphic designers that have pioneered the graphic designing industry and have made a mark on the design world.
Here are a few of the well-known graphic designers and a few details regarding their work.
1. David Carson – is first in the list for he is famous all around the world. He is an American who is known as the Father of Grunge’ His fame rose in the 80s and 90s and became leading in the field of typeface designs. He opposed all conventions of the time, and became popular as someone who did what he desired, and became successful at it. David Carson has won various awards in his time.
2. Neville Brody – is an English graphic designer and like David Carson, he became popular in the 80s and he is still highly soft after. He is famous for his works in several magazines and publications. He is widely known for his work on “the Face”, and “Arena” Magazine and designed album covers for famous music artists. The famous research studios was also created by him in the year 1994 and he is a chief founding member of Fontworks.
3. Giambattista Bodoni – Giambattista Bodoni was a well-known Italian graphic designer. Aside from being a graphic designer he was also an engraver, typographer, publisher and printer. At present, he is highly recognized by the well-known typeface or font, ‘Bodoni’, which was his very own creation.
4. Jonathan Ive is also an Englishman and he is the principal designer behind the iMac, MacBook, iPod, iPad, and iPhone. Likewise, he is the Senior Vice President of Industrial Design at the world-famous company no other than the Apple Inc. He received awards and recognition but among them, Fortune Magazine awarded him as the “World’s Smartest Designer” in 2010.
5. Kedar Ruth - Everyone’s familiar with the Google logo, but do you know who is behind it? She’s no other than Kedar Ruth. Her designs are not as grand as others but they are extremely effective. Now, she has her own graphic designing firm which name is Kedar Designs.
6. Milton Glaser - Many people would buy “I Love New York” t-shirt and others would have their t-shirts printed “I Love” plus the name of the places they visited as a souvenir, they may want to thank Milton Glaser who designed the logo. In addition, he contributed to many slogans, campaigns, logos, and marketing activities during the course of his illustrious career.
7. Dennis Hwang - Kedar Ruth designed the Google logo but the man behind the Google doodles that always make you smile with their playful incorporation is Dennis Hwang. He is also a very successful designer and who is also credited with designing the Gmail Logo.
The aforementioned people have contributed a lot to innumerable designs and graphics and the world became a more colorful place because of them. They created beautiful designs in their own ways and they captivated most people if not every person. Everything in the world would have lifeless, plain, boring texts and bar codes without the help of them.